Sunday, October 30, 2011

The 3 Card Parenting Solution

There was a time a couple of years ago when emotions were running high in our home with our daughter. I needed a way to communicate consequences to her, without getting drawn in to the heat of the moment. I developed this little 1, 2, 3 card system that worked like a dream. When I started to get some "attitude" about something, I would hand her the card, "Turn that frown upside down." Because we had gone over the cards ahead of time, she knew this was step one. If it continued, she was handed card #2 , and so on. The beauty of this little system is that it takes the emotion completely out of dynamic. It is almost as if the cards are doing the disciplining. Plus, there isn't an opportunity for the all-popular "power struggle" to occur. The frustration is against the cards. :)
This can be created for any child, and the cards can relate directly to an issue, or can be general consequences. The ideas are endless. Have fun with this and try it! I did find that both my daughter and I would smile when I handed her a card. We hardly ever had to get to #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment