Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Don't be Lazy, Mama....


I've realized that sometimes I say "NO" to my kids just because I'm being lazy. Whatever they are asking me, I sometimes have the time to do, but maybe not the energy. For instance, my younger three kids are avid lemonade standers. They LOVE it -- and want to do it often. This is a big production and there are times when we really don't have the time to set up shop. However, there are times when we do, but the endeavor requires some effort on my part. I have to help them get out the table and take it out to the end of the driveway, help them get the money ready, make sure the lemonade isn't spilling all over the floor (STICKY), and then find a way to get the giant container of delicious refreshment out to the curb without it splashing over the side. Then, of course, is the supervision. I don't have to be right there, but I do feel I need to keep an eye on them through the course of the sales hours, which limits what else I can do during that time. The temptation for me to say "NO" to this is great. HOWEVER, when I hear the negative in my head, I tell myself, "Don't be lazy, Mama," and instead a happy "YES" comes out of my mouth and we get to work. It pays off as I see my kids becoming industrious, and as I see them building some great neighborhood camaraderie as they interact with the neighbors driving by who smile, take a cup, and say, "keep the change!"
My kids are growing up, and I realize now how fast it goes. How sad if I limit their growth and experiences just because I'm not "up for it" that day. This morning I read Proverbs 12:24:
24 The diligent find freedom in their work;
the lazy are oppressed by work. (MSG)
Diligence is important, both for me and my children. I must say, lemonade stands are a pretty fun way to build that character trait! Whenever I say "Yes," I'm so glad I did.....

No comments:

Post a Comment